Followers

28 October 2011

Happy Happy Friday!

Well, as this post goes live, I'm probably on the boat coming back from a wonderful day showing some friends from Canberra the tropical island where I spent my childhood years. 

Heidi has a fabulous Friday Mashup challenge for us all this week along with a great sketch, she is challenging us to recycle and reuse.  I'm afraid that time was limited for me with visitors, so I've opted out for an easy one and used old buttons.  
 I remember sitting at the kitchen table with my grandmother (who is sadly no longer with us) cutting out zippers and buttons from our old clothes, the ones that were not good to pass on to charity or handed down to those less fortunate.  All buttons, zippers or hooks etc which were still good were put in the button tin to be reused and the clothes themselves were put in the ragbag and used for cleaning and dusting or out in the shed for greasy and oily things.

I think women of my Grandmothers time were the ultimate recyclers!  Somehow we seem to have lost that in our 'throw away society' although there is a resurgance and people are becomming more aware of reusing items.

I've mixed the sketch up just a little moving the sentiment over to another panel.  Hope you like my inspiration card.  Check out the cards the design team have for you at the Friday Mashup Challenge blog.

Cheers,
Kasey ~ in Oz


7 comments:

  1. Love old buttons! I have a tin from my grandmother too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother had jars of old buttons too.. They really liked to keep things.. I know I would keep more things if I didn't move so often. This has a great color combo and it goes really well with the buttons. I hope you had lots of fun on your boat ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you used the buttons Kasey! I hear you about the older generations. Because of all the rations and such that occured during WWII, and just from being the oldest in a large family my grandma was amazing when it came to being thrifty and coming up with new uses for old things.

    Oh, and like you all my colored cardstock goes back in with its matches :) I agree, makes it much easier when you are looking for a small piece for a project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, the buttons are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your use of buttons! My mum still has a jar of buttons, and we were talking the other day at work and some of the younger ladies thought it odd to keep old buttons or save them off shirts that we were throwing out. How things change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only I could get my hands on my grandmothers button jar... Love what you did with the buttons on here Kasey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun use of buttons! Perfect for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, so thank you so much for taking the time to say hello and leave a message.